Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Finding Agreement with John Frame

I also used to say that one should never leave a church if that church needs him/her in order to survive. But from God's point of view, no human being is indispensable. If he wants a weak church to keep going, he will supply the gifts that church needs. On the other hand, I have come to the view that it is not a tragedy when a tiny, stagnant, sick church folds up and dies. It is better for the members of such churches to be part of living, dynamic fellowships than to stay forever in a situation where they are constantly discouraged and, most likely, not being properly fed.

As someone who rarely, if ever, agrees with John Frame I find in this section from his work Evangelical Reunion (cf. Rev. Toby Brown's already linked discussion) a paragraph that is quite refreshing. I find myself presently at a time of much discernment and prayer as to my future in the PC(USA). As I think about this I am often troubled by further deepening the already wide gulf between the denominational landscape. What I personally struggle with is whether I am called to be like Jeremiah and others prophets (certainly not calling myself a prophet, that would be absurd) and stay in an increasingly apostate denomination preaching the gospel where many minds are shut to it or seek to follow the example of Matthew 10:14 and shake the dust from my feet and move on to another town.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you want to leave the PC(USA)?

I guess you are just one of them hate-filled losers...

ChipB said...

Romans 3:11-12

None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one. All have become hate-filled losers.

Benjamin P. Glaser said...

A little Eisegesis there Chip? Ha! Ha! Ha!

Tim said...

As one who eventually left the PCUSA (though not impetuously, but rather on the advise of my pastor), I completely understand your POV.

On a side note, I find Frame a mixed bag. I enjoy reading his two massive "Doctrine" books, and his Apologetics to the Glory of God is pretty good, imho. I bought Evangelical Reunion a few years ago when it was in the clearance catalog at CBD. Like Frame, it's probably a mixed bag as well.

ChipB said...

How about kerygma rather than eisegesis.

Benjamin P. Glaser said...

Good stuff Chip

ChipB said...

If I don't learn anything else in seminary (and I might not), at least I learned to use some big words.

(If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, at least baffle them with bullmalarky)

Anonymous said...

So, may I ask what's your beef with Frame? Is it his worship ideas?

Just curious. I have not read his worship book and as you well know, I'm a confirmed traditionalist.

Benjamin P. Glaser said...

Yes Toby it is with his Worship ideas... I am very much beginning to be a disciple of D.G. Hart...