Sunday, November 04, 2007

Required Reading

I just began to read this book recently after needing some time away from my studies. I have become in the past year or so more hardened against the German scholastic nature of my seminary and have tired of Pannenberg, Schleiermacher, and Barth so it was nice to sit down and read a cogent introduction into the hows and whys of the current Modalist (Sabellianist if you would like) movement within modern trinitarian formulations and apologetics. Even while critiquing the Kantian school Letham is not fearful of taking on the major weakness of the anti-intellectual passions of the recent Evangelical witness; that being its negligence of the most central Doctrine of Christian faith. Robert Letham's work checks in at over 500 pages but if the first 25 are any indication this should be a very exciting and informative read.

3 comments:

Gary said...

You know I see one way where we're different. When I want time away from studies, I'm going for a novel. Usually fantasy(Dragonlance) or legal (John Grisham). ;)

But I haven't seen either since August.

Alan said...

That's what you call light reading... you're a lot more scholar than I am. I'm with Gary although my kid reads dragon lance. I tend to to toward Donaldson or Lawhead. BTW another take on the trinity I read recently is called The Shack by William P Young. It's a story, sort of a narrative theology.

Peace
Alan

Benjamin P. Glaser said...

I would not say "more scholarly" just "more boring" ;)...

Even when I was a little kid I enjoyed reading Bruce Catton and Shelby Foote's Civil War Books than fiction. Not counting the books I had to read for school (Shakespeare, Milton, etc...) I have read maybe 10 fiction books on purpose, all being "murder-mystery" types.