Wednesday, January 23, 2008

In Belated Honor of Lee-Jackson Day

I am remiss at omitting a rememberance of two exemplary Christian Men and Patriots. Here are two worthwhile quotes for your to remember from Generals Lee and Jackson.

"One day last autumn the writer saw General Lee standing at his gate, talking pleasantly to an humbly-clad man, who seemed very much pleased at the cordial courtesy of the great chieftain, and turned off, evidently delighted, as we came up. After exchanging salutations, the general said, pointing to the retreating form, 'That is one of our old soldiers, who is in necessitous circumstances.' I took it for granted that it was some veteran Confederate, when the noble-hearted chieftain quietly added, 'He fought on the other side, but we must not think of that.' I afterward ascertained--not from General Lee, for he never alluded to his charities--that he had not only spoken kindly to this 'old soldier' who had 'fought on the other side,' but had sent him on his way rejoicing in a liberal contribution to his necessities." from Part 8, Chapter 19 of "A LIFE OF GEN. ROBERT E. LEE." BY JOHN ESTEN COOKE



"Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me." He added, after a pause, looking me full in the face: "That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave" -- Thomas. J. "Stonewall" Jackson

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Better late than never!

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a time in Baltimore :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Both of these fine Christian men are heroes of mine. They were flawed sinners, with their own blindspots and failings to be sure. But they were also both leaders to be emulated and admired in many ways.

We should remember and learn.

Thanks for reminding us!