Saturday, August 26, 2006

The Battle Has Begun

I received this e-mail tonight-not sure why-about the situation at Kirk of The Hills.

I do not know if you have been following the events at Kirk of the Hills in Tulsa. A few weeks ago they chose to leave the PCUSA. Tom Gray is their pastor and he has maintained a blog detailing the process.
Tom Gray just posted on his blog an alert to his members. It is pasted below. Now is the time to show your support for Kirk of the Hills by going to the website and write your comments of support as they undergo coercive actions by the denomination.
Here is the url for Tom Gray's blog. It is easy to leave a comment. Just click on comment at the end. Click other to type in your name. http://tomgrayofthekirk.blogspot.com/

*ALERT* to all Kirk Members

Our clerk of our board of elders just played a message on her answering machine from Eastern Oklahoma Presbytery. They have informed her that the presbytery is sending a supply pastor to preach tomorrow, and a someone else to moderate the congregational meeting on Wednesday.

This has happened before, a part of the "game plan" of the PCUSA. The link that follows has pictures and a video of what happened in a Torrance, California, church a little over a year ago. The denomination came in and pushed their way into the pulpit, creating chaos for a brief moment in worship. We will not allow that to happen.

Moderator Ufford-Chase, minority group disrupts worship service -
7/56/05


The PCUSA believes only what they wish to. They recognize that Wayne and I resigned from the denomination, but they refuse to recognize that the Kirk has also withdrawn and, in the process, re-hired us as co-pastors. They are coming to "rescue" a church that doesn't want it.

Wayne and I will be in the pulput tomorrow. This step on the part of the presbytery, since we are no longer a PCUSA church, is intrusive, arrogant, and illegal.
A LAST-MINUTE ADDITION,

I just read the following letter from a PCUSA pastor (retired) writing Presbyweb. Ed is a good guy, and I appreciate the heads-up.

Letters
August 26, 2006

Dear Editor:

I have just gotten off the phone with someone who had been in conversation with Synod personnel regarding the withdrawal of Kirk of the Hills. He was telling me how the Synod and Presbytery planned to use denominational lawyers to fight The Kirk "tooth and toe nail" for the church property.

Then I read Vernon Broyles piece "The bottom line for peace." It reminded me of what my old dad used to tell me: "Son, do what I say. Don't do what I do."

I watch and wonder... can we, will we, treat our fellow sisters and brothers in Christ who disagree with us with the same command of Jesus to turn the other cheek? To love? To forgive? Or is what we profess we want for the warring parties of the Middle East unavailable for Christian friends who feel led to go in another direction? Will the PCUSA demonstrate grace and forgiveness by turning the other cheek?

I doubt I'll live that long!

Rev. Dr. Edwin [Ed] Bernard, HR
Hugo, Oklahoma


Keep praying--keep the faith,
Tom

No comments: